Tuesday, May 17, 2011

ICFF 2011 - Part Two


Part Two of my ICFF review- As I mentioned in the earlier post, my photos didn't come out great. Here is a continuation of my notes, in no particular order.


I love the above set up for Heller. This backdrop image of Frank Gehry cracks me up! The booth was simple, but effective. Ironically, this collection isn't my favorite work by Gehry. It is made of roto molded polymer, which is a great material for outdoor furniture. I find that some of the forms look outdated. But, hats off to the display!


This isn't such a good photo, which stinks, because this collection by the British company Rapture & Wright, is beautiful. They make handprinted fabrics and wallpaper that are modern, bold and subtle at the same time. The weight of the fabric was really nice. If you like a pattern, but need it in a different color way, they can do it. The line is available in NYC at Lucy Rose Design.


Photo taken from Rapture & Wright website.
I had to add a photo from their site because the patterns need to be seen properly!

This wine display by Vin de Garde, called Nek-Rite, est formidable. It is such a simple, single part, but looks incredible in repetition. This could be a great solution/installation, for a restaurant or store, used on an interesting textured wall.


Manulution uses traditional hand carving techniques from Bosnia and Herzegovina, which is shocking because I thought the carving details were all done on a CNC! Whoever is doing the carving is immensely talented. Unfortunately, a lot of the furniture line is overdone. The carving should be the highlight, but it often gets over shadowed by the billowing edge shapes and busy metal bases. Although, I am excited by the line's mix of tradition and craft with a modern sensibility.

There is a lesson to be learned from Groundwork's booth. They get it. So many companies worked hard on the pieces and forgot about the environment. When a client walks into a booth, they should be completely wrapped in the design. Groundwork literally worked their aesthetic from the ground up. When I looked at the booth, I thought- Here is a company that has it together. They have a distinct look and style and they are creating a story, with the environment, of what their products are about. It is the kind of booth that would make a person buy several pieces from it to create the same look for themselves. In most of the other booths, the pieces weren't strong enough to sell themselves. If the owners had taken more care to design the environment and create an overall experience, I would be blogging about the pieces. Only a very small sector of the show, got it. So, I applaud you Groundwork.
I will continue, tomorrow, with Part Three of ICFF.

No comments: